Wednesday, September 5, 2012

a moral dilemma- what would you have done?

This happened to me last week, and I am not sure how I should have handled it.

I am pumping gas and a truck pulls up on the other side of the gas pump I am using.  The woman is driving, and the man gets out to pump the gas.  The woman's window is rolled down and she lights up a cigarette and smokes it there, 3 feet from the gas pump, dumping ashes out the window.  I am on the other side of the pump from her, probably 5 or 6 feet away.  My kids are in the car and I am standing there pumping gas, smelling the gas fumes, watching her smoke and reading the NO SMOKING signs posted everywhere.

I don't want to tell anyone what they should do, but I also don't want me and my kids to get blown up.  Where is the line between respect of others privacy and self-preservation?

What would you have done?  


3 comments:

  1. I would have said something.... kindly, but firmly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think saying something, even if it's just gently pointing out the no smoking signs, is perfectly justified and the right thing to do. That said, I would have chickened out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have spoken to the attendants. Hello by the way from a new reader :-)

    ReplyDelete