Saturday, July 5, 2014

all of us

In a few weeks, my husband and I will have been together for half our lives.
When we were first married, I remember dreaming of this point.  I loved the idea of living more of our lives as a couple than we ever did apart. And here we are.  We are growing old together.

It is hard to write about my husband, because I lose perspective that we are truly two different people.  We talk so much about so many issues, as mundane as the grocery list and as profound as trinitarian theology (and that is all in one day!)  Our relationship is so good, so strong, I really do take for granted that marriage is work.  A holy, blessed work. 

Today I listened to a talk by Met. Kallistos Ware about the Orthodox marriage ceremony.  It was beautiful picture of mutual submission, celebration and exaltation. 


I dont usually get inspiration from current pop love songs, but I caught one the other day that just brought tears to my eyes.  Buried in the lyrics was a nugget of truth of what marriage truly is.

"I give you all of me and you give me all of you. "




No comments:

Post a Comment